Frequently asked questions

If you are a nonresident alien doing business or working in the United States, you are required to file a tax return. To "file a tax return" means to send your completed tax return to the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and other state tax authorities. Therefore, by US law you need to file a Federal income tax return each year you have any income subject to US income tax, no matter if you are eligible for tax refund or you owe money to US tax authorities.

TaxReturn4You was created specifically for international students, participants of Work & Travel program, to make tax preparation easy and ensure that their tax returns are fully compliant with the IRS tax rules. But if you are not Work & Travel participant, don’t worry because we have another team of experts for non J-1 students and you can get their help emailing us with explanation of your situation to

Taxreturn4you is easy to use and completely customized to suit your needs. It is consisted of 5 easy steps written in simple English that you have to go through:
● You create an account, or log-in if you’ve already created an account.
● Then, you answer some easy-to-understand questions.
● Our team of experts then reviews details of your tax return.
● We finalize tax calculations, prepare and send your tax return.
● Your tax return will be filed in shortest time possible.

1st Step - Answer some easy-to-understand questions and submit your documents
2nd Step - Our team of experts reviews and processes your documents and do the calculation
3rd Step - We e-file or mail your documents
4th Step - IRS reviews your return
5th Step - You get your tax refund

We probably had the same question when we were in your place. As former J-1 students and professional tax preparers nowadays, we believe we have the best possible set of skills for you to put your trust in us. If you still are not sure, there is no better way then check what our clients have to say about us.

Exact timelines are determined by the IRS and other tax authorities on a case by case basis. It takes, in average, 5 to 13 weeks to get the federal tax refund from the date it has been submitted, while the refund of the state tax refund depends on the specific state you worked in, and it takes in average 5 to 15 weeks to get it back. Please, allow another 1-3 weeks for mailing, if you requested a check to be mailed to your address before you contact the IRS. Sometimes it takes longer for various reasons, but we will make sure to keep up to date with your case and ring the tax office frequently to get them to issue your refund faster. Please note that refunding of you tax money ultimately depends on how fast US tax authorities are processing tax returns and that the IRS allows up to 6 months for the processing of non-resident returns. Note: Please be aware that refunding of you tax money ultimately depends on how fast US tax authorities are processing tax returns.

The documents required for a tax refund are:
■ Copies of all W-2 Forms or the last pay stubs
■ Copy of Social Security Card
■ Copy of first page of Passport
■ Copy of US visa
■ Copy of Form DS-2019
■ Filled and signed Form 2848 Power of Attorney
■ Filled and signed Customer agreement

There are two ways of getting your taxes back:
1. By check sent to your home address. Checks are issued directly by the IRS or other US tax authority.
2. By direct deposit to your US bank account. The IRS or other US tax authorities will not direct deposit tax refunds to any non-US bank account

A tax return is document declaring the liability for taxation while a tax refund is the overpayment made for a particular tax. We file your tax return in order to get your tax refund.

If you are entitled to a tax refund, the deadline for claiming is 3 years. At the moment, you can apply for a tax refund for years 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. The deadline for the 2016 tax refund is April 15, 2020.

The April 15th tax deadline is the date by which all tax returns must be filed for the previous year. If you owe the IRS money and you don't file your tax return by April 15th, the IRS will impose late filing penalties and interest on the amount you owe, so the sooner you apply the better.

Non-residents can apply for their tax refunds even after the April 15th deadline, but a return has to be filed no more than 3 years after the original deadline in order for the IRS to issue a refund. You should not worry about the penalties and fines if you have no tax liability, the IRS will not penalize you if you do not file a return on time. If you owe additional tax for the year, you must file a return and pay those taxes on time to avoid late filing and paying interest and penalties. The IRS charges substantial interest and penalties on past due taxes. Where there are additional taxes due, the IRS treats each late filer individually and calculates penalties and interest based on the balance due shown on the return or adjusted by the IRS. Once the IRS processes your return, they'll calculate the penalties and interest based on the number of days your return is late, and then send you a separate bill. For this reason, we can not calculate late filing penalties or interest.

If you underpaid your taxes you need to pay the outstanding amount to the relevant tax office before the deadline (15th of April for tax year 2019). If you end up owing additional taxes with your return, you have various options to pay your taxes. You can pay by check, bank transfer or use your credit or debit card. We strongly suggest to use your credit or debit card and pay taxes you owe directly to IRS or other US tax authority via their website in order to avoid any further delays or complications.

If you are not able to file your federal income tax return by the due date (April 15th), you may be eligible to get an automatic 6-month extension.

Register and provide us with your contact information. We will send you the documents submission form via e-mail and from there we can discuss further procedure. Once we receive the necessary documents, we will start working on your tax return. You may follow your tax return progress via your online account which will be created for you.

Do you have any questions?

Please, don't hesitate to contact us!